Sunday, February 24, 2013

Chicken Fried Rice... Minus the Chinese Take Out.

Hubbers LOVES this recipe. Adores it. I try to make plenty for leftovers and that usually doesn't happen because he and my "brother in law" (Jeremy's best friend/brother, best man at our wedding) destroy it before the plates even hit the table.

You'll need:
1 can of carrots
1 can of peas
1 cup of rice
3 chicken breast
1 bottle of soy sauce
*eggs, scrambled
*green onion, diced
*zest of two oranges
*juice of two oranges

(**Means optional ingredients)



First things first, boil your rice. That's one cup rice, two cups water. Pour the rice and water in together, and bring it to a hard boil. Once it's boiling, cut the heat off, stir it, then put a lid on it. Let the steam work from there. This takes about 20 minutes. 

In the meantime, cook that chicken in the skillet. (I only used a few strips of chicken for a smaller amount. I like less chicken, you may add more.)
Next, combine all of your ingredients together. The peas should be drained as should the carrots. The chicken, once done, should be diced. Stir it all together so it looks like it does in the picture above. *If using optional ingredients, now is when you'd add the green onion, scrambled egg, and orange zest.*


Go ahead and heat up that skillet, wok, pan, what have you. I have an electric skillet that works wonders for this. 
Use max heat if using an electric skillet. 
It's not fried if there's no butter ya'll! Use about 2 tablespoons of butter to drop in that skillet. Paula Deen would use more, but we're not trying to lube up our arteries here. 

Throw that beautiful mess into the skillet once the butter has melted and sizzled. At this point we'll add the soy sauce, as much as you like (you won't use the whole bottle, hopefully. Taste it along the way. I like mine a little salty.) **If you're using the optional ingredients, add the orange juice here.

It's done when the excess juice and sauce have cooked into the rice. Enjoy this bit, kids, cause everyone is digging it!

Love as always, 
Courtney 

10 comments:

  1. Okay, can you make japanese fried rice?!?! Will you learn how and post the recipe? I love your blog and learning the different recipes you have. You are a great cook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Makita! I will certainly get right on that! BTW..if you are a Twitter user, check me out at @C_Carter_Ingle. I post there immediately after a blog post! Also, follow me on Pinterst and Instagram under the same names. I usually put up recipes that I love under my boards!

      Delete
  2. you have NO idea how long I have been searching for directions to make fried rice!!!!!!!!!!!! This is awesome. Thank you so much! I have experienced failure after failure after failure with fried rice. Guess what's going to be for dinner now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go girl! This one is simple enough. Use the optional ingredients for an extra bang. We didn't buy them this time around because we are power saving money for a home budget, but the orange makes it. Big time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! My kids will love it! Sounds yummy, quick, and easy. So much better for you than what you get at a restaruant. Keep the great posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kelly! Let me know what the kids think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try it out and let me know how it goes! Also, if you make any changes or additions share on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey courtney!! i love this recipe!!! thanks for sharing!! this blog is an awesome idea! thanks for sharing!! :)
    hannah

    ReplyDelete