Saturday, February 23, 2013

Meal Planning, Time Saving

King Hubs of the Ingle Castle has been asking me to blog again about my meal planning system. We've recently started a one week instead of two week menu. As you remember, we were eating a different meal every night for two weeks, rinse and repeat. Well now we have a repeating menu every week. Bland as it may be, we're trying to save up to buy a home, so every Monday night pizza night and Tuesday night casserole is worth it.

Now for the meal planning part. Make your menu first. Mine looks like this: 

Monday--Pizza night (also board game night with brother in law and friends)

Tuesday --Poppyseed chicken (which can be made in advance and refrigerated or frozen until you're ready       to cook.This is my night class special)

Wednesday--Taco Roll (easy enough for the hubs to make since I have classes late.)

Thursday--Chicken, rice, peas. 

Friday--Meatloaf (in the crockpot. Cooks while I do my research, writing and errands and is amazing. Served with any of the veggies that Hubs's grandparents send us fresh from their garden.)

Saturday--Sandwiches or out for lunch. (Common time for the hubby and I to share a romantic lunch.) Supper is hamburgers (unless we have a dinner party or plans.)

Sunday--Lasagna for lunch. (Stouffers. Don't judge me, its better than any lasagna I'll ever make. And cheap. For 2.65 it feeds me and the Hubbers.) Chicken fried rice made at home for supper. 

Then make your grocery list to correspond. Be on the lookout for meat deals like the Pick 5 for 19.99 deal at some grocery stores. I save a ton of money doing that. 

I highly recommend planning your meals around your schedule. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays I do something easy that the hubs can make or a casserole that I can prepare in advance and bake when I get home. For crockpot recipes, check out these ladies. I use a lot of their recipes to get inspiration for new things or just to wow people when I have company ;)

With love as always, 
Courtney 

4 comments:

  1. This is something I need to start doing. I am so bad about deciding what I want an hour before and well it makes life a bit difficult sometimes. Good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good idea! It probably makes your grocery bill lower too if you do this at the start of the month..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both ladies. And yes, it does make for a lower bill. We try to only shop once every two weeks for food. Of course we run out of milk and things like that, but this helps us to keep in touch with where the money is going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should do this. Might make me actually eat lunch too.

    ReplyDelete